Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2024

Meal No. 3668: Mushroom & Swiss Burgers

There was a time in my life when eating at restaurants was a more regular thing, and at those sit-down American fare chains the go-to for quite a while was mushroom and Swiss burgers. Something about how they're made in restaurant kitchens always struck all the right notes with me, but I recognize that I might regularly come up short in replicating it on the homefront. Tuesday evening's attempt at mushroom and Swiss burgers came close, though: excellent grilled seasoned burgers, almost too much Swiss cheese, and Madeira mushrooms in the perfect amount to satisfy—plus the extra step that I rarely undertake of buttering and grilling the buns as well. It was almost too much to finish off by dinner's end...but within me resides fortitude that rose mightily to the occasion.

The blog tells me I've made these only a handful of times, beginning in early 2017 with a burger bar set-up that featured three different kinds of burgers, including mushroom and Swiss. Then, it was once a year (Meal No. 1937 in 2017, Meal No. 2063 in 2018, Meal No. 2430 in 2019, and Meal No. 2692 in 2020), followed by a four-year pause. I really must do better!


"Juicy Burgers," originally from Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks recipe magazine, July 2003, p. 52-53. After Pillsbury was purchased in 2001 by General Mills, home of Betty Crocker (founded in 1921, mind you!), it basically ceased to exist as a company and lives on just as a brand. I guess that's why a Pillsbury cookbook recipe from 2003 is now only found on the Betty Crocker website.

No comments: