Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Meal No. 3682: Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup

Tuesday a week ago, the homestead was graced with yet another delightful dinner and visit featuring the marvelous Kristen and her betrothed hanger-on Mookie. These dear friends are central to the warm vibes and happy times of the Roediger House (as are our other regular and favorite couple, Amy and Gern!). When they arrived, we gathered at the table to begin the evening with dinner, featuring ultimate cream of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on fresh-made peasant bread. It was all pretty darned satisfactory.

That was also National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day, and I thought I had just the recipe for the occasion. With a homemade all-butter crust, and a great full dose of chocolate flavor, this take on that dessert is less about the sticky corn syrup and more about an egg-and-sugar filling with all those pecan halves and their tasty crunch. My plan was for the pie portions to be generous, but lordy: sometimes when I make this the filling just does not set up. We still dug into it, but with spoons instead of forks. I wish I understood why I end up with this failure from time to time!

Let me add one other thing, taking us back to Monday, August 19. Marred only by a few minutes of half-hearted sprinkles late in the afternoon, it was a gorgeous late summer day and it concluded with the marvel of a Super Blue Moon rising over the city that night. With cool breezes, lots of cicadas, and wonderful temps, I lit a mess of citronella incense sticks (I've been buying these for years in bulk from TheDipper.com), brought out my Bose bluetooth speaker, and enjoyed the slow rise of that gorgeous moon. I was glad to rest a spell; that was a day when my evening stroll tallied 8.2 miles.


"Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup," from Cook's Illustrated, November 1999. Recipe can also be found online at Cookography.com.

Peasant Bread adapted from "My Mother's Peasant Bread," by Alexandra Stafford of AlexandraCooks.com. [07 November 2012 / Updated 06 January 2022]

"Chocolate Pecan Pie," a Jones Family favorite since at least 1980, if not before. Also known as "Blender Pie," the recipe came from the late Lib Keith, whose hair-cutting business at her house was where our hairs got clipped for quite a few years.

"All-Butter Pie Crust," from King Arthur Test Kitchen of King Arthur Baking. See also "Butter vs. Shortening: The Great Pie Crust Bake-Off," by PJ Hamel of King Arthur Baking. [Published 23 November 2013]

No comments: