Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Meal No. 3680: Filet Mignon and Smashed Red Potatoes

When I decided I was hungry for some steak Sunday a week ago, my mind entered a second irresistible track that took me once more into the sentimental recollections of a side item often ordered on my many visits to the now (mostly) defunct Darryl's restaurants: loaded smashed sour cream, bacon, and chive red potatoes. The steaks were pretty tasty, pulled from the freezer where they'd been stored away, already prepped and vacuum-sealed to be ready for the sous vide; then they were finished on a very hot grill outside. But those potatoes! Lord have mercy, one might be on a starch-and-dairy overload, pushing right up against that dangerous line where medical attention was barely averted. Almost more add-ins than the potatoes could carry but going for seconds like a programmed automaton, once they demonstrated their gustatory amazingness, was a mindless joy with a huge pay-off.

No comments: