Search RoHo Blog

Monday, May 23, 2022

Vanilla & Chocolate Custard Doughnuts

The compulsion to try interesting yeasted constructions continues, and the week before last, I made my first attempt at custard-filled doughnuts.

It began Wednesday with making a batch of vanilla custard, and then a batch of chocolate custard. Then, on Thursday, I hand-kneaded from start to finish the dough for the doughnuts. By the time the dough had risen and rested, I divided them up and they puffed up a bit more, albeit a bit more spherical than one might want.

Then I fried 'em up and rolled half in powdered sugar and the other half in a cocoa-sugar mix. I filled a few to start with, just to see how they'd be, and got to sample one of each.

Given how oozy they were, I decided that the remaining ones would be just as good if I'd split them and use the custard as toppings. It was all going to the same place anyway, right?


From "Custard Cream Donuts (Vanilla & Chocolate)," from HidaMari's YouTube channel. [Posted 18 June 2021]

No comments: