Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Meal No. 3101: Philly Cheesesteaks on Homemade Hoagie Rolls

So, I made my own hoagie rolls back on May 17th, and they were pretty awesome. I'm not especially skilled at shaping them so that they fulfill the aesthetic goals one might have for such an endeavor, but they were pretty close to perfect for a first attempt otherwise.

Of course, I'm thinking this was my first effort at working with a slack dough, where the goal of kneading and rising is different from the usual elastic, pliable, shapable result.

And what better use for those hoagie rolls than to serve as the landing spot for smoked provolone, which was the base for a terrific topping made of diced beef tenderloin (scraps from trimmings when I prepped and stored filets from a whole tenderloin), plus sliced onion and sweet bell pepper, in a tasty well-seasoned caramelized state? Oh, and did I mention my homemade cheese sauce to top it all off? Well, there was that as well. This was one super supper.


Philly Cheesesteaks based on a combination of ideas from:

"The Best Soft and Chewy Hoagie Bread Rolls," by Lori Monte, the Kitchen Whisperer.

No comments: