Search RoHo Blog

Monday, April 10, 2023

Caramel Popcorn Cap'n Crunch Cookies

We have just passed the ten year anniversary of the introduction of Cap'n Crunch cookies to the Roediger House, and on Good Friday I celebrated it by making our latest batch. It was a dinnertime discussion all those years ago that circled around to the famous Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland, and specifically their Cap'n Crunch-topped yeasted doughnut called "Oh Captain, My Captain," that led me to web search the idea. What I stumbled across was much more intriguing to me, and much more accessible, and much more likely to enter the regular rotation: a cookie based on the Cap'n Crunch cereal.

Made with browned butter and cake flour, it's a recipe I can turn to when I want to whip up a sweet something pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the websites from which came the original recipe have become defunct, so I can only attribute their creations by name but not by linking back to them (as noted on the bottom of this blog post; you can still print out the recipe from my pdf version).

It's not just the browned butter and the dominance of the dark brown sugar that bring about their unique flavors, although those are vital. In those early years, I made another discovery that has since impacted how I'd like Cap'n Crunch cookies to turn out—and by turn out, I mean more specifically how I want them to taste: the limited issue special edition flavors of Cap'n Crunch, which allowed quite a few variations, like Sprinkled Doughnut, Chocolatey Crunch, and Cinnamon Roll Crunch. The best and most favorite special version was Caramel Popcorn Crunch (pictured above, featuring simply as a visual aid a box saved from 2016).

It's a flavor I can approximate, and indeed that's what happened last Friday night, thanks to Buttered Popcorn and Caramel flavorings. It makes those outstanding cookies even more remarkable. I guess that's why I had to have three, hot from the oven. That's what can make it a Very Good Friday.


"Cap'n Crunch Cookies," found online at The Capitol Baker, with credit going to The Sugar Plum Blog for inspiration and the source of the adapted recipe.

No comments: