Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Meal No. 3334: A Riff on BBQ Chicken Soup

Almost as if winter got drunk and fell backwards into the meeting space set aside for the Spring club, the front end of Easter weekend was unsportingly chilly with nearly-full-day raininess and nastiness. Friday was occasionally blustery, but it's not as though Saturday was calm. The unending drizzle and mists of both days were disconcerting but they did not dampen my spirit. I took inspiration, instead, and pivoted to soup and fresh-made bread on Easter Eve. I riffed on the BBQ chicken soup recipe from the folks at Green Egg, and I made my second loaf of Chef John's Japanese milk bread.

The soup was pretty terrific but that bread was just stoopid good. Feather light, wonderfully flavored, a marvelous airy chew and a tasty crust.

Did I indulge in a second piece, with additional butter alongside? Why, yes I did. It's early April and we barely got past 43°F. I absolutely had more bread with that steaming glorious soup.

When Sumner and I arose on Easter Sunday morning, it was at last sunny again, but quite chilly at 37°F! The new Tempest weather station's final report on the weekend precipitation here showed a total of just under 1.25"...but the Smith Reynolds Airport official tally was 1.51". Since my Tempest unit depends on haptic feedback for calculating or indicating rain, it misses the mists and mistakes the Portland/Seattle-style precip for no rain at all. (For the guy who still walked almost 7 miles in that dreary wash over Friday and Saturday, I can assure you the wet was descending!)


"BBQ Chicken Soup," from the folks at the Big Green Egg website.

"Chef John's Milk Bread," from Chef John Mitzewich of FoodWishes.com and AllRecipes.com. [Updated 07 September 2022]

No comments: