Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Meal No. 3338: Baked Spaghetti for the Crew

For just over 25 years now, I’ve been making a recipe for baked spaghetti that I pulled from the collected recipes of my longtime friend Cindy, from all those frequent stays with her and her husband when they lived where I was often working regularly in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It's not been on the menu here since summer 2021, and having the crew of RoHo regulars over for a Saturday evening hang last night was a good reason for bringing it back, especially because of how gracious are its proportions and satisfying is its sustenance.

Because they are friends who deserve to be treated well and right, some homemade Thousand Island dressing for an easy garden salad was called for; so too was the bonus of fresh-made focaccia, using a recipe that I just really dig and which I often can't help but cut into in advance of dinner, when it first comes out of the oven. I am shameless. Last night I was able to hold off, though!

It was a pleasant enough Saturday in Winston-Salem, with a mix of sun and clouds. Sumner is always glad to get some time outside and I'm just happy to see how bursting with color the corner azalea is, given that I almost lost it a few years ago. And boy howdy was the downtown rockin' when I did my pre-bedtime stroll out Fourth Street and back. I do enjoy seeing this town so alive.


"Baked Spaghetti," by Margaret Coalson via Stick Coulson, 13 July 1997.

Adapted from "Thousand Island Dressing," from Graybert on GeniusKitchen.com.

"Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia," from Adam and Joanne Gallagher of InspiredTaste.net.

No comments: