Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Meal No. 3265: Pesto-Ricotta Mushroom Pan Pizza

My downtown strolls take me past several pizza restaurants and the wafting smells emerging from within create a provocative desire to go home and make pizza. Rarely do I follow through on that compulsion, in part because the night-before prepwork isn't always prioritized. But I so enjoy the pan pizza-style crust from a barely-kneaded approach I learned from watching a J. Kenji López-Alt video, and it's always worth the small effort and advanced planning to get that result. Last Tuesday's main meal was just such a creation, resulting in a pesto-ricotta pan pizza topped with sautéed mushrooms.

Our early January moderated temps continued that Tuesday, even though again we had precious little sunshine to go with it. But an early morning trek outside with Sumner came with an exciting show of bluebird action! As noted in this blog post, it took me 13 years to ever eyeball a bluebird in the yard here; then they toyed with me for a few years by checking out the bluebird house and never moving in; a simple move of the house to the fence up against the neighbor's house seems to have done the trick and there have now been three (I think) family cycles over the last couple of years. Their appearances here have been limited to early spring, and on into the summer a bit...until this winter, when I spotted one in December and then THREE in the yard that grey January morning just past the start of the new year. No photos to support this so you'll just have to take my word for it.


"Fool-Proof Pan Pizza" [Updated 03 January 2020] and "Pesto Pizza" [Updated 27 February 2019], by J. Kenji López-Alt, former culinary director of SeriousEats.com.

No comments: