Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2022

Lemon Pudding Cake

As the City of Winston-Salem was battered by the advancing tropical storm remaining from Hurricane Ian on the final night of September, the good dinner of tomato soup could have sufficed...but I was persuaded by nagging mental images of a sweet finisher for the evening. After dinner clean-up I started a fresh mess-making process with a new recipe (to me): lemon pudding cake. I've had the printout of that recipe for a long time but had never gotten around to experimenting with it. That stormy blustery night that had us all on edge called for the hopeful endeavor, sped along by fears that the power might go out at any time. (It flickered badly enough to shut down the oven at one point but I fired it right back up!)

Oh my, what an excellent choice to undertake this dessert: I don't know that I've ever made anything like it, and it was stunning, rather incredible, and tremendously rewarding. The culinary triumph was celebrated promptly with a second portion every bit as generous as the first portion.


"Lemon Pudding Cake," from Julia Moskin of NYT Cooking. Featured in "Straight from the Home Coop" from 04 April 2012 (original link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/dining/hatching-your-own-batch-of-eggs.html). Recipe was adapted from The Farm, by Ian Knauer. [Accessed online 03 July 2016]

No comments: