Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2021

Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream and Yellow Cake

As we reached the final days of October, I was clearly in an ice cream-making mood, with two batches of sweet milk vanilla, plus a batch of the ridiculous chocolate decadence ice cream. I was not finished, though, in part because of a strong pot of coffee I made one weekend afternoon, intending to save a small portion to boost the chocolate flavor of a cake. But I made enough of that potent drink to also incorporate into a batch of Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream, using a trusted and faithful recipe from David Lebovitz. 'Tis consistently terrific, and this time was no exception.

Ah, but with Mookie and Kristen over for dinner last Sunday night, I figured that ice cream ought to have some cake to go with it. I reached into the huge layer cakes recipe binder and turned only a few pages of it before settling on yellow cake with rich chocolate frosting. I might have messed up on the cake layer cook time but with enough frosting and ice cream, the unintended dryness had sweet mitigators.


"Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream," by David Lebovitz. In The Perfect Scoop. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2007), p. 35.

"Classic Yellow Cake," by Robyn Stone. Found online at addapinch.com.

"Super-Simple Chocolate Frosting," from King Arthur Flour. Posted 01/01/2010.

No comments: