Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 16, 2021

Meal No. 2885: Vierling Saloon Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

When word came to me that the Oklahoma crew was going to be stopping back in on Thursday a week ago, after taking a quick trip out to Nags Head, I went into planning mode for how best to approach their possible supper needs. Given that we were enduring the outermost reaches of the remnants of Hurricane Elsa that day, something warm and comforting seemed called for.

What finally occurred to me is that it's been far too long since the last appearance of the amazing cream of chicken and wild rice soup, based on the old Vierling Saloon's recipe. I dashed out to the Harris Teeter for their reasonably-priced whole fryer chickens, grabbed a container of cremini mushrooms, and upped my onion supply. The Instant Pot made short work of cooking up the seasoned whole chicken so that it was all ready to be deboned and diced and tossed in near the end of the soup's cook time. It turned out pretty great!

It seemed wise to try to offer up a simple sweet treat after dinner, so I did a quick batch of those incredible lemon sugar cookies...but three-fourths of the Oklahoma crew had gone to bed early and missed out that evening!

While I'm at it, for the fullness of recording the kitchen activity, I'll also note a couple of the snackables I tried to have available for our happy easy-going crew while they were here, including a batch of chicken salad (pictured above) and pimento cheese (pictured below).

I was also planning to make a loaf of banana bread for them, but that did not actually occur until the day they left (they successfully departed at 4 am last Friday!):


"Vierling Saloon Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup," formerly offered at the Vierling Saloon in Marquette, Michigan. This was first shared with me by my sister Allison Holden and her husband Tom, from Rossville, Indiana. Another online version of the recipe can be found at Miss Mary's Blog.

"How to Cook Instant Pot Whole Chicken - Rotisserie Style," by Sheena from GlutenFreePressureCooker.com.

"Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning," by Judith Hanneman, The Midnight Baker.

"South Carolina-Style Pimento Cheese." Recipe worked out by me, based on Sharon's Palmetto Pimento Cheese.

"Lemon Sugar Cookies," from Melissa Stadler of ModernHoney.com. [Published 21 March 2016]

"Starbucks Copycat Banana Nut Bread," from Liz of LifeLoveLiz.com. [Published 25 March 2015]

No comments: