Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 2, 2021

Meal No. 2872: Pesto, Mozzarella, & Ricotta Deep-Dish Pan Pizza

While I often pine away for some pizza, I have mostly been able to avoid its nagging temptations. But every once in a while, one ought to indulge in the simple culinary pleasures even when they might come with some unhelpful side effects and repercussions. Last week found me in a bit of a yeast dough mood (see: cream cheese danish braid).

I also tried for the first time an overnight pizza dough recipe that really turned out smashing, if imperfect. Credit that scientific-method-master J. Kenji López-Alt of SeriousEats.com. It comes together pretty easily and then has a full 24-hour rest and rise period before you divide it, knead it a bit, and press into your skillet or cake pans.

I solicited some fresh basil from the neighbors and toasted pine nuts for a homemade pesto base and then topped it with fresh mozzarella and ricotta cheeses, along with some additional shredded cheeses. I put two slices on my plate as a portion control tactic but was unrepetent about fetching a third piece without even a hint of hesitation. I hope I don't wait so long to make that all again!


"Easy Basil Pesto," by Adam and Joanne Gallagher of InspiredTaste.net. [Originally Published August 2013]

"Fool-Proof Pan Pizza" [Updated 03 January 2020] and "Pesto Pizza" [Updated 27 February 2019], by J. Kenji López-Alt, former culinary director of SeriousEats.com.

No comments: