Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Meal No. 2882: Juicy Grilled Burgers

A fine way to celebrate the Fourth of July is by grilling up some burgers, and that's what I did for the six of us at the dinner table that warm and sunny Sunday night. Since we'd had that pretty filling brunch meal earlier in the day, it seemed sensible to keep the dinner menu pretty plain, so other than the cheeseburgers all we had were kettle chips.

Following those burgers, with a rest period in between, during which the crew adjourned to the third floor to watch a movie, I snuck down to the kitchen and shortly thereafter returned with the evening's special dessert treat: peach cobbler ice cream. I'd worked on various stages of this frozen dairy concoction over the previous couple of days and had it stored away waiting for the chance to serve it. It froze up a bit harder than I'd like but it was still a very tasty dessert that night.

Also, as folks were whiling away that casual holiday Sunday afternoon up on the third floor, I snuck into the kitchen for one more culinary endeavor. Apparently, for one among our Oklahoma Crew, chocolate-oatmeal no-bake cookies are a habit and obsession. I never make them, so I figured: What the heck? These are that childhood favorite, which I remember best from its corner compartment on the elementary school lunch trays, and it's been a long time since I made them. This recipe calls for more peanut butter than I care for, and maybe I could've upped the sugar, but with Ghiradelli cocoa powder and an extra helping of RoHo love, they weren't what I would have gotten from the old Buies Creek School cafeteria.


Adapted from "Juicy Burgers," originally from Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks recipe magazine, July 2003, p. 52-53. After Pillsbury was purchased in 2001 by General Mills, home of Betty Crocker (founded 100 years ago this year, mind you!), it basically ceased to exist as a company and lives on just as a brand. I guess that's why a Pillsbury cookbook recipe from 2003 is now only found on the Betty Crocker website.

"Peach Cobbler Ice Cream," by Christin Mahrlig of the Spicy Southern Kitchen blog. [Published 01 August 2015]

"No Bake Cookies," from Jaclyn Bell of CookingClassy.com. [Published 02 June 2012 / Updated 12 July 2018]

No comments: