Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Meal No. 3548: Grilled Filet Mignon

I will still splurge every once in a while, waiting until a beef tenderloin is on sale, and yet the sale price makes this still an unnerving indulgence. Ah, but I got eight good filet mignon steaks out of it, once I had trimmed it, plus enough smaller morsels salvaged to make the recent round of Mongolian beef and broccoli. Two of those steaks went on the grill Wednesday night and then were joined on the plate by spiced roasted sweet potatoes. Both the beef filets and the potatoes were seriously perfectly on point. It was an awesome dinner.

Now, speaking of splurging: when I finally got around to buying a new car, I found one that hit all the right notes but it was a bit loaded with extra goodies that I would not have otherwise sought out. A daytrip yesterday for work, which took me next door into Guilford County, gave me a chance to capture one feature that was definitely on my wish list, and another feature that I had to accept in the package since it was already installed. Above is a still taken from a short video on an open stretch of interstate, which is how I was finally able to snag a photo of the "heads-up display." There is a small console built into the dash above the instrument panel, and it projects my current speed, my alignment in my lane, and what my cruise control is set at. It also displays what the car's visual sensors last captured when I passed a speed limit sign (how often do we miss this especially when the speed limit increases or we've just merged onto a highway?). I love all of that.

An installed extra on this new 2024 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE that I wouldn't have voluntarily sought was a dashcam. A close call as I was driving east yesterday morning finally led me to figure out how to download a clip from it. It looks like none of the vehicles made contact but boy was it close. The rearview mirror showed me how much tire-burn smoke floated up but at least for me and my new ride: we were cool.


Based on "Roasted Sweet Potatoes," from Chelsea Lords of ChelseasMessyApron.com. [Published 04 March 2019]

No comments: