Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Mardi Gras King Cake

For the third time now, I've indulged in the passionate mystery of making a Mardi Gras King Cake. The version I made last year had a lot of promise even if I didn't have a lot of skill, so it was an inviting challenge to take up again. That's how I spent some of the rainy Sunday as last weekend was wrapping up.

I'm still not great with technique and styling but I must say that the oversized slice I ate instead of having any dinner that night more than satisfied.

Once I get better at this, I'll make better seals and won't lose quite so much of the brown sugar-cinnamon filling. Nonetheless, the beatiful risen dough and the colorful ham-handed decorating and the spirit of Mardi Gras here on Spring Street: it was an abundance of gifts.

I'm also a bit torn on what we really ought to call this. I mean, "King Cake" is what's known as and yet it is very much a sweet enriched yeast-risen bread, no? I'm glad for the warm spirit and glorious scents, though, as a most essential salve to the drear of that day.

Scarlett still found her window seat time on the new cushion to be a joy.


"Mardi Gras King Cake," from Amy Nash of HouseofNashEats.com. [Published 22 January 2022 / Modified 19 January 2023]

No comments: