Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Cookie Dough Caramel Swirl Ice Cream

A very nice young lady is a next-door neighbor in an apartment in the old house beside the Roediger House, and when she went through the misery of wisdom teeth extraction recently, she strongly suggested that some RoHo cookie dough ice cream might help her heal. I was not speedy enough but she was willing to feign a slower recovery just so the medicinal magic of just such a concoction could meet the moment. I prepped a sweet milk ice cream base last Tuesday night and churned it Wednesday morning. I'd never made edible cookie dough, so that was a nice new endeavor, with heated flour to make it safe and an overnight rest in the fridge to firm it up. Once I'd portioned it into tiny morsels, that cookie dough went into the freezer. As the ice cream was finishing, I stirred in the cookie dough. Then it was time to dig out some bourbon caramel sauce I made a while back, and I also added in my homemade copycat Hershey's chocolate sauce. By Wednesday evening, it had all firmed up enough to offer out the first servings, to make sure it had turned out okay before sharing the to-go container promised to the neighbor. Cookie dough ice cream is not what I was ever known to order if I happened to be at an ice cream parlour, but boy howdy was this an amazing treat that night.


"Edible Cookie Dough," from Jaclyn Bell of CookingClassy.com. [Published 09 September 2018]

"Bourbon Caramel Sauce," from Ali Martin of GimmeSomeOven.com. [Published 31 August 2019]

"Sweet Milk Ice Cream," published in the King Arthur Flour catalogue some years ago, but no longer available on their website.

No comments: