Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Meal No. 2633: Baked Chicken Breasts Supreme

State Arboretum of Virginia, 1998

In 1989, when I started my masters program at Wake Forest University, I also was a graduate hall director in charge of Kitchin House, at the time the freshmen men's dorm (with a few fraternities thrown in for good measure). My direct supervisor was the delightful Cindy Coulson who, fortunately but unfortunately, had met and fallen in love with the also-delightful Harley Knowles, who is now president of Tennessee Wesleyan University. After one terrific year of working with Cindy, that lovely pair married and moved off to Williamsburg, VA. Fast forward a few years, and beginning in 1996, when I moved to Charlottesville to begin my PhD program at the University of Virginia, a fellow hall director named Lynne Sponagle had moved to Blacksburg and Cindy and Harley were up in Winchester, in the hump of Virginia. Perfect for easy weekend convergences on the Coulson-Knowles household! Then, for quite a few years after I'd moved to Winston-Salem, I still spent a lot of time with Cindy and Harley because I was fortunate to do a lot of consulting and training with school divisions in their area. That means I've had many a meal at Cindy's table, but I also scavenged the heck out of her extensive recipe book and magazine collections and there are quite a few dishes that she deserves credit for helping connect me with.


One delicious entree that Cindy made from time to time was Baked Chicken Breasts Supreme, but the blog tells me I've only ever made it once (at least since the "new" kitchen was completed in 2009). I think it's because it requires advanced prep and marinating time that I haven't been good at planning for. I brought it back out for a go this past Friday, and was definitely glad I did...both because of how good it is but also because I love indulging in the sentimental and fond remembrances of this dear, dear friend that I never get to see anymore.

Boy howdy, did I overeat. With a sizable chicken breast, in the face of which I would not be daunted...plus homemade mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts gratin...the full plate was turned into a clean plate in short order. All such good stuff!



"Baked Chicken Breasts Supreme," from Jane Hobart via Cindy Coulson [recipe received 19 October 2006]. Pillsbury.com has a pretty close version, with the addition of minced garlic: "Baked Chicken Breasts Supreme." Another somewhat less similar version can be found at "Baked Chicken Breasts Supreme," by Marjorie Scott from TasteofHome.com.

"Brussels Sprouts Gratin," by Alison Roman. From Cooking on newyorktimes.com.

No comments: