Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Cinnamon Roll Sticky Buns: Batch No. 11


As I confessed back at the end of March, in the blog entry noting the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic shut-down of the city and of the state, I was among those swept up by the hoarder's shopping instinct, which led to rather huge bags of flour and sugar (well, one of each) in the butler's pantry. But I didn't follow through with the mad baking quite like most folks did (and there was never any sourdough experiment undertaken at the Roediger House). All that flour, though, did bring dancing thoughts of various baking endeavors to mind, which I have mostly failed to follow through on.


Alas, the siren call I finally could not resist hit me last Monday evening, and I prepped a double batch of cinnamon roll sticky buns, based on the perfect recipe I got from my sister and brother-in-law many, many years ago.


Even though it's a double batch, let's still call it No. 11...and the first time I've made this recipe in almost exactly six years. True, using a laminated dough left over from making cheese danishes, I have somewhat recently made cinnamon rolls, which were also quite good, but they did not include pecans, nor did they have the "sticky" syrupy element that these do.


Because I started around 6 pm Monday night, I already had in mind that I'd prep them as far as the individual rolls were concerned but then tuck them away for the night in the fridge.


That way, I was able to bring them out, let them come to room temperature, rise a bit more, and then bake them up Tuesday morning. Not only did that make for a most excellent breakfast, it also set me up to offer them fresh and warm to neighbors on Spring Street and, of course, the Roediger House regulars that we've hardly seen for months.


If I've kept up properly via the various blog posts over the years, this is the ninth time I've made Allison and Tom's recipe for sticky bun cinnamon rolls.


Other than sort of hacking a batch with that laminated dough back in the spring, I also once tried a recipe from Bon Appetit that was perfectly fine (back in 2012), but not as perfectly good as these.


No comments: