Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Replacing the Cellar's Shop Lights


The Roediger House cellar extends across the house, under the master bedroom, the rear half of the main hallway, and the dining room. (The front parlours and kitchen addition both just have crawl space underneath.) For several months now, two of the three fluorescent fixtures in the open area of the cellar have been on the blink, in part because they were old and banged up and losing some parts. The north end of the cellar, which is likely where coal was delivered from the neighboring alleyway back in the day, is walled off as a separate room; the shop light in there was hanging by one sturdy nail and by the wiring that went to the center of it.

I'd finally bought replacement fixtures and was hoping that my usual electrician could take care of it...but I've not been able to get up with him. I decided to tackle it myself last Friday afternoon when it was too blazing hot to be outside doing anything.


It took me between four and five hours, because I don't know what I'm doing, but also because two of the three fixtures were a little complicated, based on how they were hung and the wiring that had been routed to them.


Not only were the fixtures poorly secured, but I also hated to discover that one of them had been wired without wire nuts...just electrical tape had been used. But the day ended with success, and fresh LED bulbs are installed and these new lights are blazingly bright.

No comments: