Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Meal No. 2625: Lamb and Mushroom Meat Loaf


I don't know how it works at your house, but I'm of the opinion that it will be the end of the workday, a Friday, or a holiday weekend when one of the two house air conditioning systems decides to go on the blink. It was right at 5 o'clock last Friday when I had come in from working outside and passed through an 82°F kitchen...which led me to investigate the unit down in the cellar hoping it was just frozen up again. Alas, that didn't seem to be the explanation, so leaving it shut off didn't take care of things. I decided not to bring out the on-call guy over the weekend, and all the sleeping was done up in the attic guest nook over the weekend, which made Sumner extremely happy since he can bed down there with human company, instead of crashing in his crate as per usual. Yesterday, my longtime technician John came from Webb Heating & Air Conditioning. It was a relatively quick fix but not without a higher price tag: the motor was blown and had to be replaced. Now things are humming along...pretty cool.


Although the kitchen was 87°F while I was in the midst of making dinner Sunday night, which was even worse than I was expecting it to be, I still pressed forward with my meal plans...with a 450°F oven working hard for about an hour just so we could sit down to delicious Tupelo Honey Cafe-inspired lamb and mushroom meat loaf. With creamy homemade mashed potatoes, overloaded with butter (as they should be), and a homemade brown gravy, it was the kind of meal I worked hard in the yard to earn.



"Lamb and Multi-Mushroom Meat Loaf" (p. 150), in Tupelo Honey Cafe: Spirited Recipes from Asheville's New South Kitchen, by Elizabeth Sims with Chef Brian Sonoskus. Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC, 2011.

No comments: