Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 3, 2020

Meal No. 2616: Sous Vide Chicken Salad


When the coronavirus pandemic and accompanying shut-down had as an accompanying feature the panicked shopping and hoarding by the masses, I too felt I'd better be safe than sorry and that included buying a big bag of frozen chicken breasts from Costco. As we move into summer, the meat supply seems to have stabilized a bit and there is hope that the crisis will not spiral down to that level.


So, what about all those chicken breasts, though? I pulled out three of them and transferred them to a bag in the fridge in hopes they would thaw reasonably quickly. They didn't. It took four days for them to become at least somewhat pliable...but it was enough to be able to season and prep them for sous vide cooking. And boy howdy did they turn out absolutely fantastic: flavorful, juicy, perfectly cooked. And perfect for a homemade batch of chicken salad served Tuesday night on brioche buns.


That day started out uncomfortably humid and became sprinkly on and off, keeping me from continuing yard labors. In fact, Monday was the first miserable kind of summer day and included flies in the daytime and swarming mosquitoes when I was working on the front irrigation valve box into the late evening. I'm counting myself lucky that I was able to get out and appreciate all the good weather days leading up to this week. I can love summer all I want to, but I also know that sometimes it just isn't going to love me back.



Based on "Sous Vide Chicken Breast," by Yolanda on AllRecipes.com.

No comments: