Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Weekend Away


I took this picture earlier today when I was out walking Cyprus on the campus of Tennessee Wesleyan College in Athens, TN. A couple of cool things about this:

The new president at TWC is the husband of long-time friend (and former supervisor) Cindy Coulson. Cindy was my boss when I was a masters student at Wake Forest, and for years when she and her husband Harley Knowles lived in Winchester, VA, I was a highly regular visitor. For the four years prior to Harley assuming the Presidency of Tennessee Wesleyan, they lived in Freeport, ME, which was also an awesome place to visit. I have a number of recipes from Cindy, and those meals have figured prominently in the Roediger House dinners over the years. Here are a few:

The other cool thing was this: TWC is one of those colleges that still has the quaint feature of a President's house right on campus. That means that during the quiet days of a fall semester weekend, I was able to stroll the campus with Cyprus without a leash. It was fun to find out how close she would stay to me and how responsive she would be when I called her, stopped her, and so on. She did awesomely. I'm pretty proud of her. Even when she dashed after squirrels, rabbits, and a large cat, she still stopped when I called and waited for me to catch up.

No comments: