Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 17, 2020

Water System Connection for the Irrigation System


Here's another chapter in the long-running story of installing an irrigation system for the yard of this fine old Roediger House: on Wednesday, the folks at PF Plumbing undertook the sadly involved job of creating a fresh connection to the City water service so that I can have a second meter just for irrigation and yard.

This property sits on two lots, and there are in fact two meter setters side-by-side right at the lots' dividing line. But only one of them still had a viable connection (the current water service for the house). That meant I had to get a utilities contractor who could tap into the water main under the street in front of the house, and it also meant I could choose a less expensive location for said second connection to be established.


I chose the upper/north end of the yard, where the retaining wall is much lower but also where it's much easier to tuck the backflow preventer into the established landscaping.


Pf Plumbing took on the job, for a pretty penny, but they did a pretty darned good job by the time it was all said and done.


Now I'll be waiting for the City to drop the meter in and then to get the key elements inspected and passed.


After that, the ball is back in my court to finish connecting up my irrigation lines and the wiring of the automatic valves at the smart controller I'm putting in the cellar...and then testing and flushing the system before setting it up on schedules.


I'm getting a bit excited, really.

No comments: