Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Ultimate Sticky Buns

I got bitten by the sticky bun bug, and I had to give these delicious treats another go. Especially after seeing the cover of the latest issue of Bon Appétit, where the authors touted an all-purpose master sweet dough recipe. (Once you master the master dough, you can do anything from tarts to pretzels to vanilla cloverleaf sweet rolls.)

As faithful blog readers know from my post a couple of weeks ago, where I talked about a recipe for sticky buns I got from my sister and her husband, this is one of those food items that rank as pretty awesome but that don't get made enough to suit my tastes or needs.

So it's been bugging me that, for just a little extra effort on a weekend, I can get the pay-off of pretty fabulous sticky buns for breakfast or desserts or indulgent snacks. I'm also finding that folks who regularly haunt the Roediger House are not at all shy about calling for them.

I got my rear in gear for this again over the April Fool's weekend and was glad I gave it another college try. And while I had some frustrations with the dough and thought I was going to have to toss the whole thing out, it ended up coming through with a slower-than-expected rise. The middle of the nine sticky buns did not cook properly and had to be thrown out, but the crew of us who had these for post-burgers dessert were some happy campers.




The counterfeited version of the Cinnabon icing was also well-received. It's pretty easy to whip up and, really, is just a great cream cheese icing for about anything. It's especially good sitting atop a home-made sticky bun, though.



"The Ultimate Sticky Buns," by Melissa Roberts. In Bon Appétit, April 2012, p. 90-94, 114.

No comments: