Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Meal No. 3048: Plank-Grilled Chilean Sea Bass

It's been an off-and-on rainy week in Winston-Salem, and I snagged an opportunity last Tuesday when the day started out sunny to head out for a provisions run to Costco. My list was pretty long but noticeably absent from it was Chilean sea bass, which I don't know that they usually have and which I am not in the habit of buying. It ain't cheap and it's over-fished...and I definitely prefer salmon and tuna over it. I came home with a package nonetheless and plank-grilled it with a soy-ginger-garlic glaze, and it reached temperature just as the tank in my gas grill petered out!

Served with pine nut pearl couscous and roasted asparagus, it was a full plate...and some sea bass remained for future use! Also: I think this is only my second time of making Chilean sea bass, with the inaugural attempt occurring all the way back in 2011.

An updated sign of spring was visible that morning, too: the earliest blossoms on the Bradford pear tree.

It's barely begun its spring show but above you can see the pulled-back view from the south front corner of the property.

The morning routine is to begin upstairs with coffee and the computer for writing time. But Sumner has become consistently difficult about giving me laptop time...as long as I'm merely on my phone or writing on my pad, he is content to lie on the floor or over in his window seat. But once I pick up the computer, he insists on getting in my lap. I reclined a bit to give him a longer stretch for sleeping and tried co-tasking...but he was not happy about it.


Couscous recipe based partially on "Toasted Israeli Couscous with Pine Nuts and Parsley," from Bon Appétit, December 2004.

No comments: