Search RoHo Blog

Friday, August 18, 2023

Ample Hills's Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Cream Cheese Ice Cream

I am not quite sure how I stumbled into a determined course of action to make this recipe over the weekend, but I did: an ooey gooey butter cake cream cheese ice cream, adapted by the folks at Serious Eats and inspired by the Ample Hills Creamery, known as Brooklyn's favorite ice cream shop. This was understandably a multi-stage endeavor, started on Saturday afternoon to create the ice cream base; Sunday was for making the cake and churning the ice cream; Monday was when it was ready for partaking after a good overnight freeze.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to shoot for with the butter cake; mine turned out pretty tender and difficult to manage. In fact, as I tried to remove it from the pan to cool, it's like it did a backflip somersault with a twist and ended up as an unappealing pile, partially on the rack, partially on the pan, partially on the counter, and completely on my last nerve. But hey: it's supposed to be broken down into chunks to get mixed into the ice cream after it churns, so there's that.

Understanding that this dessert is being attempted for the first time while I am not yet restored to smelling and tasting, I still think I'd question how close it comes to being my sort of thing. I'm sure it's passable enough for a trial and also easily pushed aside in favor of lots and lots of other frozen dairy sweet treats I could make instead.


"Ample Hills' Ooey Gooey Butter Cake Ice Cream," from Emma Kobolakis of SeriousEats.com. [Updated 25 August 2020]

No comments: