Search RoHo Blog

Monday, February 14, 2022

Meal No. 3031: Pan-Seared Pork Medallions in Ginger-Soy-Shiitake Cream Sauce

Well, it's been a minute or so since I last made the incredible and long-time favorite meal of pork medallions in a ginger-soy-shiitake cream sauce. Having the RoHo regulars over on the first Sunday night in February was all the reason I needed to bring this back out of the archives, after a nearly two-year absence from the dinner table here. Company mashed potatoes and the ol' traditional Campbell's green bean casserole turned it into comfort food at a Level 11.

As the neighbors down the street plot their departure from Winston-Salem, it allowed me to benefit from their bread flour oversupply, so I used that to try a new and reasonably easy peasant bread loaf...which was a delicious accompaniment. I used to have bread all the time, but now it is rare indeed.

That Sunday did begin with a very early awakening, just after 4:30 am. It sounded like gunshots. It stirred Sumner from his slumber as well. Then there was another round of them, and I thought it sounded more like a bundle of firecrackers. And then a third round, and I was less certain. Later that morning, I saw a news story that gave me pause. This was about 1.5 miles from the house...could I have heard those gunshots? I don't know.


Based on "Pan-Seared Tuna with Ginger-Shiitake Cream Sauce," from The Bon Appétit Cookbook by Barbara Fairchild, 2006, p. 398-399.

"Campbell's Classic Green Bean Casserole," by Dorcas Reilly, Kitchen Manager at the Campbell Test Kitchen, 1955.

"Company Mashed Potatoes," a Jones family favorite.

"Easy Same-Day Peasant Bread," from Jenny Rosenstrach of the CupofJo.com blog. [Published 02 February 2022] Adapted from Alexandra Stafford of AlexandraCooks.com. [07 November 2012 / Updated 06 January 2022]

No comments: