Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Meal No. 3035: Hamburger Supreme

Before I embarked on my big weight-drop effort, one of my favorite not-so-good-for-you dishes was among the very oldest in my recipe stash: hamburger supreme. It came to the Jones family thanks to my eldest sibling's first mother-in-law, all the way back to the early 1970s. But I've had to stay away from it since May 2018, at least until last Wednesday night. Ground beef in the fridge, nearing its expiration, and uncertainty about what would fit the bill at the dinner decision moment...and I just fell into the seductive trap of its resurrection. Normally it gets topped with unrolled Pillsbury crescent rolls, but I didn't have any...but I knew I had puff pastry in the freezer. (Unfortunately, it had aged out, I guess, so the crust remained rather doughy.) But the filling...!


"Hamburger Supreme," from the late Mrs. John T. (Glynn) Johnson of Buies Creek, North Carolina, via Janice Jones Bodenhamer.

No comments: