Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2022

Meal No. 3038: Juicy Burgers

A rare work day on a Saturday last weekend found me traveling in the early morning hours over to Vance County, up along the border with Virginia and a good ways east of Winston-Salem. Although we knocked off earlier than a typical weekday professional development session might, and I was glad for a lovely sunshine-y drive back home, I was content to believe I'd "worked" enough and made supper easy all the way around: sous vide juicy burgers that were long ago prepped, vacuum-sealed, and frozen. Once they were properly cooked in the immersion circulator, I tossed them into a hot skillet to finish and that's when some cheese joined in on the party. (I forgot to snap my usual dinner plate photo, so instead: above is Sumner as he stared at those good burgers.)


Adapted from "Juicy Burgers," originally from Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks recipe magazine, July 2003, p. 52-53. After Pillsbury was purchased in 2001 by General Mills, home of Betty Crocker (founded in 1921, mind you!), it basically ceased to exist as a company and lives on just as a brand. I guess that's why a Pillsbury cookbook recipe from 2003 is now only found on the Betty Crocker website.

The guidance for cooking the frozen raw burgers at 142°F for 2.5 hours pulled from "How to Make Sous Vide Burgers," from J. Kenji López-Alt, former Culinary Director and current Culinary Consultant of SeriousEats.com. [Updated 24 October 2019]

No comments: