Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Meal No. 3032: Creamy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

It is not the permanent condition of a northwest Piedmont North Carolina winter, but Monday a week ago was, according to the National Weather Service, officially sh*tty. Cold, all day drizzly rain, icy build-up, and did I mention cold? Ah, but it was slippery enough that my work that day was postponed till later this month, so I got to enjoy a fine day at home.

Sumner liked the idea of making himself at home, stretched out on me and sleeping while I was trying to do some work. But hey: at least I managed to get an article submitted for journal review, even while I was a dog's lap.

It was an ideal day for soup, so after a two-year break without it, I made the amazing ultimate cream of tomato soup that used to a frequent item on a Roediger House menu. Ah, but the previous evening's peasant bread had enough remaining that I could make adorable diminutive grilled cheese sandwiches...That.Were.So.Good.

Enough soup and bacon remained for a nice supper of leftovers the following Wednesday night:


"Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup," from Cook's Illustrated, November 1999. Recipe can also be found online at Cookography.com.

No comments: