Search RoHo Blog

Monday, February 21, 2022

A Cookie-Laden Goodbye to the Pilons

For the last few years, Spring Street has enjoyed the wonderful addition of good neighbors in the beautifully-restored Conrad House in the 100 block. (It was once occupied by a former student of mine and her husband, and it was their presence here that led me to the Roediger House and its purchase in 2003.) When the Pilons moved in after the major renovation of their house, we had the understandable connection of old house stuff. But we also came to be very fond of one another, I think. Well, the time has come for them to move on, and to head to Montana which puts them closer to grandparents and other family, and it is a shame to see them go.

As the days were winding down before their ultimate departure last week, I asked them to tell me their favorite cookie choices from the Roediger House kitchen.

Lori is pretty fond of chocolate sugar cookies.

Cody has a preference for lemon sugar cookies.

They both seem to dig the DoubleTree-style chocolate chip cookies.

And when Lori shared with me some fresh eggs she'd gotten from someone local, I promised I'd make some ice cream with it to share, and that was undertaken the weekend before their departure. In other words, I sure tried to load 'em up with lots of sugary goodness so they'd have an extra reason to be sad about leaving town.

Lastly: their parting gift was a poster-sized version of an inside-joke-filled magazine cover graphic I'd made for them when they were off vacationing at the end of last summer. Every bit of it made me chuckle the whole time I was making it, and I think they really got a kick out of it, so we had to memorialize it for them to take to Montana.


"Lemon Sugar Cookies," from Melissa Stadler of ModernHoney.com. [Published 21 March 2016]

"Chocolate Sugar Cookies," by Lindsay Conchar of LifeLoveandSugar.com. [Published 25 November 2020]

"DoubleTree Hotel's Chocolate Chip Cookies," by Ayşegül Sanford and her blog, Foolproof Living. [Published December 29, 2013.] Official DoubleTree recipe from Hilton.com was released to the public on 09 April 2020.

"Brown Sugar Cinnamon Ice Cream," from Heather Tullos of SugarDishMe.com. [Published 11 September 2015]

No comments: