Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, May 8, 2021

Squirrel: 1. Transformer: 2. Roediger House: Zero Power.

Just as I had stepped into the bathroom after rising last Sunday morning, there was the pronounced "boom" that we often think of as a transformer blowing (in reality, it's more likely a cut-out fuse). The power blinked off simultaneously. Once I'd dressed, I went out to investigate and found one very dead squirrel and one very stunned squirrel at the base of the pole that feeds the power line to the house. I put in the call to Duke Power and a lineman was on scene in short order. Alas, he needed a second lineman with a bucket truck, who arrived according to a much more casual schedule, country-music-blasting and initially shirtless. But power was restored before 10 am.

Two important take-aways from this minor disruption of the joyous routines of Roediger House living: (1) I really did struggle that morning without my coffee and found an almost immediate return to good health and humor once the first cup was brewed and consumed, so the addiction is full and real; and (2) Let's not argue about whether there is something unseemly about Sumner's squirrel abatement activities. I'm of the view that it is a necessary element of a negotiated balance for the living creatures in and around 316 N. Spring Street.

No comments: