Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Limoncello Creme Cake


Desserts are by definition a treat, but not all desserts are treats. And every wild once in a while, I find myself trying out a recipe that initially makes me angry at the dessert developer until I realize that I'm the sucker who fell for a kitchen freakshow and rode it like a jackass through all three rings of its circus.

The week before last, I made a very bad decision about the next recipe I ought to try. It was a lengthy unnecessarily overwrought process, complicated and expensive and with a stunningly disappointing result. The recipe: limoncello creme cake. While it seems to have enjoyed tons of "shares" from the recipe website, and an oddly uncritical mass of favorable comments, I appreciated that at least one person commented: "There are so many things wrong with this recipe that I won't bother to go into them all."

An 8-yolk lemon curd, mixed into THREE containers of mascarpone cheese, various tablespoons-full of lemon extract and limoncello, plus a recommendation that you zest, like, 6 or 8 lemons...but a freakin' box mix for cake and an insistence that you find Cook-and-Serve lemon pudding...for the love of all that's holy: I am a moron for choosing to try to make this ridiculous absurdity that was a physical disaster but an interesting nod toward a different kind of lemon cake. The recipe printout has been tossed in the rubbish bin.


"Limoncello Creme Cake," from Kathleen Hagood and posted to JustAPinch.com.

2 comments:

Brendan said...

Yeah, we've all been there.

Ray said...

I suppose I've put on full display the butt-hurt that I felt about it.