Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2021

March Ends on Several Sweet Notes

The weekend before last, I dipped all my toes into the sweets and goodies realm, and out came several tempting treats. The first to appear at meal's end was a new recipe for lemon pudding, served on the last Sunday evening of March, and it was amazing. (I'm sorry it looks like ramekins of soft butter in the photo above.) This early part of 2021 has proven to be a pudding bonanza here at the Roediger House.

But wait: there's more! March's final Monday also featured a pudding-based dessert, but this one took it up several notches on the fancy post. Pictured above is butterscotch budino, and below is the accompanying homemade salted caramel sauce:

...and to finish it all off I topped the servings with homemade whipped cream. There was plenty of all of it so I put additional portions into some easy plastic to-go tumblers and shared them with the neighbors down the street. It proved to be rather rich, and that stressed my system a bit overnight.

Another dessert I prepped and also churned was a batch of the ever-delicious Vietnamese coffee ice cream.

That's what I was able to bring out for an easy dessert after the roasted salmon meal on March 30th, and that sweet easy concoction that always pleases was every bit as good as ever. There was a time when I'd indulge in the occasional treat of Vietnamese coffee in the morning, which nowadays pretty much overwhelms me with a glucose shock since I don't consume as much sugar as I did in the pre-weight-management days. This ice cream helps keep part of that dream alive, though.

Finally, I also made for the second time a batch of lemon pie ice cream, which was considerably more involved than the simple coffee ice cream! I tinkered a bit with it, because I wanted more than just lemon curd ice cream with shortbread crumbles (yes: I made shortbread cookies to include in this ice cream). I also wanted the other key part of a good lemon pie: the meringue. Ultimately, I figured I'd try some swiss meringue to see how it would do, riffing a bit on the same approach to the filling for homemade Klondike bars. The result? Yet another absolutely amazing ice cream, happily homemade, plenty of it and still gone all too quickly.


"Meyer Lemon Pudding," by Sue Moran from The View from Great Island. [Published 10 January 2020]

"Butterscotch Budino with Caramel Sauce," by Frank Bruni of New York Times Cooking; adapted from Dahlia Narvaez of Pizzeria Mozza, Los Angeles. I used an alternate caramel sauce recipe: "Salted Caramel Sauce," from Maria and Josh Lichty of Two Peas and Their Pod.

"Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream," by David Lebovitz. In The Perfect Scoop. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2007), p. 35.

Lemon Meringue Pie Ice Cream was based on two different recipes:

"Shortbread Cookies," from Nagi Maehashi of RecipeTinEats.com. [Updated 26 September 2019]

No comments: