Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Lemon Pie Ice Cream


For my third day of drawing a slip from the coronavirus random task jar back on the final day of March, I could only be delighted that it said "Homemade Ice Cream," instead of something like "Do Your Taxes." Given the spirit of this endeavor and how I'm trying to be industrious in ways I'm normally not inclined toward, I committed to trying a new ice cream recipe that might be more intense or involved than my usual batches.


Behold: lemon pie ice cream! With homemade lemon curd, homemade shortbread cookies, and (of course!) a homemade ice cream base, this was quite a monstrosity when we dug into it the next day (and that's no April Fooling!). Fortunately, I didn't need to use all of the shortbread cookies to mix into the ice cream on the night that I made it (it needed to go into the freezer for an overnight set), so some of them got eaten as a late evening sweet treat:

Clearly, though: one does not necessarily have to have ice cream all by itself. So another activity on April 1st was to try a recipe for a lemon-blueberry loaf that turned out to be quite delicious with that lemon pie ice cream. That's the slice in the bowl with the ice cream, up in the middle picture.


Ice Cream was based on two different recipes:

"Shortbread Cookies," from Nagi Maehashi of RecipeTinEats.com. [Updated 26 September 2019]

Lemon Blueberry Loaf based on "Meyer Lemon Blueberry Loaf," from Meghan McGarry of ButtercreamBlondie.com. [Published 15 January 2017]