Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Meal No. 3650: Vierling Saloon Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

It was the very fun crew of seven folks around the table on Friday a week ago, and since it was slightly cooler and a tad rainy all day, we had us a big ol' pot of Vierling Saloon Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. This is another long-time family favorite with rather regular appearances here on the Roediger House menu.

I ought to have left well enough alone, with just the soup, which was extra thick this time, and pretty danged filling. But I had an urge to bring out something from the bread category and settled on Southern buttermilk biscuits, and it was also an excuse to try out yet another different recipe for this. We were all pretty pleased with 'em.

That Friday was also the observation of National Pecan Pie Day, and I had just the recipe that's long been loved in the Jones household, all the way back to my days growing up in Buies Creek. This chocolate pecan pie, which we were first advised was "blender pie," is a breeze to put together, especially if you're content to use a Pillsbury pie shell or a storebought refrigerated crust. Maybe purists out there are shocked and saddened that my celebration of the occasion was with a non-traditional version, but I ain't apologizing for what I like. Alas, when I saw that the Pillsbury crusts were priced at $5.49, I figured I'd best revert to my latest cuisine curse: a working knowledge of how to make homemade pie crust from scratch. That's how we ended up with two pies, and I've got absolutely no reason at all to complain about that.


"Vierling Saloon Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup," formerly offered at the Vierling Saloon in Marquette, Michigan. Another online version of the recipe can be found at Miss Mary's Blog.

"Mile High Perfect Best Homemade Biscuits," from Ashton Swank of Something Swanky.

"Chocolate Pecan Pie," a Jones Family favorite since at least 1980, if not before. Also known as "Blender Pie," the recipe came from the late Lib Keith, whose hair-cutting business at her house was where our hairs got clipped for quite a few years.

"All-Butter Pie Crust," from King Arthur Test Kitchen of King Arthur Baking. See also "Butter vs. Shortening: The Great Pie Crust Bake-Off," by PJ Hamel of King Arthur Baking. [Published 23 November 2013]

No comments: