Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 5, 2024

Meal No. 3636: Filet Mignon & Smashed Sour Cream and Onion Red Potatoes

On the day I baked up those ridiculous Kouign-Amann pastries (or Kouignettes, as I've been redirected to say), back on June 25th, I really needed a solid mid-day meal to overcome the overwhelming effects of so much buttered and sugared pastry. To the rescue came a vacuum-sealed prepped pair of beef tenderloin steaks, ready to drop into the sous vide for their perfect temp timing, and then finished in a hot skillet for that glorious crusting pan-sear. I deigned to sample a new approach to the starchy side, depending on a 15-year-old recipe magazine for sour cream and onion smashed red potatoes...and they were exceptionally awesome. All that and a sunny hot summer day off work? I'll take it.


"Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Potatoes," by María del Mar Sacasa. In Cook's Country, February/March 2009, p. 9.

No comments: