Search RoHo Blog

Friday, May 19, 2023

Old-Fashioned Apple Pie

Last Saturday was said to be National Apple Pie Day, so I figured it was an excuse to try yet another approach to said pie. I trust Serious Eats, and especially the guidance found in articles by Stella Parks. To get this right required an earlier start than I managed, so it was 9 pm that night before it was ready to be sliced and served.

The flavors were all great, and it was sweet enough to satisfy my tastes and the apples were really tender but still had integrity. I fear that the thickening power of the tapioca starch was compromised by not being well enough mixed in, so there was a bit of soupiness to the finished product.

When regular old National Pie Day rolled around back in January, it is true that I made an apple pie then, although it wasn't one that thrilled me. Guess this is why I keep trying.


"Easy, Old-Fashioned Apple Pie," from Stella Parks, former Pastry Wizard and Editor Emeritus at SeriousEats.com. [Originally Published September 2017 / Updated 07 September 2022]

No comments: