Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Meal No. 3358: Sausage & Mushroom Pan Pizza

Last Thursday featured a delayed return to faithful pan pizza in the cast iron skillet, this time with my first trial of a New York-style pizza sauce. For a change of pace, I also cooked and crumbled sweet Italian sausage and sautéed some mushrooms...the cheese was still piled on but with unserious caution so as not to overload or weigh down the cooking pizza dough. I'll tell ya: on those days when I can be at home and have time in the afternoon, this is a great approach to more traditional pan pizzas...I've been shy about taking the time to make a pizza sauce, for instance, or to do additional prep for toppings (like cooking sausage and such). The outcome makes it exceedingly worth it, without really asking all that much of me at any one moment.

May continued offering up glorious temps under wonderful sunny skies, not as much breeze but also not too warm at all. The outside time was appreciated even though I wish I'd been more intentional about some of the work to be done in the yard. But hanging out and catching friendly waves or quick conversations with neighbors was still a solid plan of action.


Pizza Crust based on "Fool-Proof Pan Pizza," by J. Kenji López-Alt, culinary consultant for SeriousEats.com. [Updated 30 March 2023]

"Homemade NY-Style Pizza Sauce," by J. Kenji López-Alt, culinary consultant for SeriousEats.com. [Updated 17 February 2023]

No comments: