Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, March 25, 2023

Meal No. 3323: Barbecue Chicken and Bacon Pan Pizza

Earlier in the week, I baked a pair of split chicken breasts but seasoned them differently so as to dedicate them to diverging purposes. The second one got a hickory smoke and spice blend, setting it up to adorn Thursday evening’s barbecue chicken and bacon pan pizza. Lordy, it was a platter of delight, perhaps not quite equal to the appetite I had worked up.

The beginning project on that Thursday morning sent me out onto the kitchen roof on the back of the house because I am now of the age to have a weather station. This is a WeatherFlow Tempest, solar-powered and WiFi-enabled, and it integrates into my Rachio irrigation control so that real-time accurate indications for rain and such help monitor the watering cycles.

I’d snagged this on a special a while back, and then I dragged my feet on getting the mounting post for it. While it would have been nice to get it up high on the rear gable for the 3rd floor pool table area, up above the roofline, there just wasn’t a suitable mounting spot that I liked. But I do like the current, real-time, specific information it provides, as noted from this screenshot from the app just a few minutes ago, which helpfully reports we've received just shy of a quarter inch of rain so far this morning:

Spending time looking at seldom-seen exterior portions of the house reminded me of how neglected at present is this particular responsibility of home ownership. Gutter replacement, wood trim repair, and painting are at a point of critical need and it will only become more pressing with each passing day.


Pizza Crust based on "Fool-Proof Pan Pizza," by J. Kenji López-Alt, culinary consultant for SeriousEats.com. [Updated 26 April 2021]

No comments: