Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Meal No. 3320: Skillet Beef Stroganoff

On its final day, winter chose to put its foot down in an inconsequential quiet tantrum, gifting us with a near freezing morning wake-up on Sunday and holding the highs in the 40s. A final fire of the 2022-2023 winter was called for and, once the coffee-making priority was satisfied, a match was struck to a pre-laid hardwood build, and the stack roared to flame-licking life: Fire No. 87. I feel a sense of workman’s competence if the laid fire’s first “chapter” is a full but long and solid burn, before it calls to be fed and tended. Sumner settled into one fireside chair, and I into the other, and the Miles Davis station played softly on the Sonos behind us.

My four years residing on the East Range at the University of Virginia are the key source of any skills or techniques I might claim for building a suitable fire. I took full advantage of the operable fireplace in those historic rooms, perhaps often tempting fate with how grand were their blazes on occasion. I had a great source for my wood supply and might go through three or four deliveries in a Charlottesville winter. I operate today under essentially the same rule as I did in those idyllic days on those hallowed Grounds: if it’s under 50, a fire is nifty.

Once he’d scarfed down his breakfast and we once more patrolled the grounds until he was satisfied all was well, Sumner then settled onto my lap as the kitchen area grew lighter with the brilliant sunlight climbing over the city skyline to our east. Coffee in my cup, a swirl of writing thoughts in my head, a grandly comfortable homestead of security and serenity, and the steady march of fulfilling days looming with promise…I wished winter well with no reserve of resentment to color the send-off.

Sunday's main meal was the consistently delicious skillet beef stroganoff. Piled high in bowls, topped with shredded sharp white cheddar, decorated with a few dashes of parsley...it was well-suited to the chilly day appetites.


Based on "Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Dinner in a Skillet," by Emeril Lagasse. Found online at The Food Network and also on Emerils.com.

No comments: