Search RoHo Blog

Friday, March 17, 2023

Kitchen Treats of Early March

Cap'n Crunch Cookies. The backlog of posts, waiting in the queue for my daily dispatches and diatribes, leads me just past this Ides of March to consolidate some entries. This one is devoted to the sweet treats and fun foods of late, starting with a batch of Cap'n Crunch cookies that I made on Tuesday March 7th to take with me for an afternoon session with educators down in Montgomery County.

The WORST Chocolate Chip Cookies. A special request was made for the recipe known as the WORST chocolate chip cookies, so that was the dessert on Wednesday night that week. It made sense: I gave away all of the Cap'n Crunch cookies save for my one sample, so more cookies were definitely called for.

Atlantic Beach Pie. To go along with pizza and a movie on Thursday night, I made a fresh Atlantic Beach pie. I realize it was a quick repeat for this amazing concoction but I had a couple of egg yolks to use up plus a bag of lemons in the butler's pantry. I'm easily persuaded by these minor serendipities.

Lemon Cheesecake with Biscoff Crust. The Sunday evening gathering in celebration of Amy's birthday featured a weather-inspired main meal, but the dessert was simply its own sunny day: lemon cheesecake on a Biscoff crust. I'd made this once before, when I had an abundance of Meyer lemons over the Christmas holidays, and it was stupendous. Turns out it's pretty remarkable even with ordinary standard lemons, too. It came out a tad more fragile but once on our forks and headed to our mouths, did that still matter a great deal? Anyway, that was the meal-ending special treat in honor of that special lady Amy!

Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies. Finally, we come to Wednesday March 15, when I found my way to the kitchen after a good long walk and also some yardwork...and out came these amazing chewy brown sugar cookies. There really ain't much to the recipe but it sure is the right one, if it's a good cookie that you were hoping for.


March 9: A Day in the Life

Speaking of sweet things, let me unspool a grateful recounting of a lovely late winter day, specifically Thursday a week ago, which began with this color-filled dawning of the day over our fair city. It was a day full of sunshine, largely, and with mostly stilled breezes, it could be incredibly pleasant outside even though we barely hit 60°F. Ah, but my desires were not sufficiently fueled by determination and too many of the yard chores called for during this stage of the shifting seasons got ignored. But I did give the front yard its first cutting of the year, and I also spread fertilizer in anticipation of the next day’s rains.

The cherry trees gave a more enduring performance than the Bradford pear, keeping The Grove in splendid display. The camp chair sitting time on the driveway, with coffee and writing pad and the occasional waves to neighbors, benefited from that pink-tinged cottony canopy of snowy flowered wonder.

Around mid-day, I caught quick sight of a male bluebird, first checking out the house on the fence, and then partaking of the suet nuggets from a feeder in the cherry tree.

I grabbed my digital camera with its zoom lens, and while I wish the light had cooperated a bit better, I’ll always be glad to have seen and, sometimes, to have photographed these itinerant beauties

Since I don’t use that camera much, ever since I got my iPhone, I realized I had a couple of other bluebird photos from February 10th, so here they are:

Most of you would prefer not to know about the petrified dead rat that was under the lawnmower in its storage spot, but I’m glad it was a petrified dead rat.

As is often the case with Sumner, while he’s bursting with energy when he is outside on the lookout and on the prowl and always smelling and listening, once inside, he is definitely content to sprawl and nap:


"Cap'n Crunch Cookies," found online at The Capitol Baker, with credit going to The Sugar Plum Blog for inspiration and the source of the adapted recipe.

"The WORST EVER Chocolate Chip Cookies," from Sam Merritt of SugarSpunRun.com. [Published 28 November 2018; Updated 13 November 2019]

"One Phenomenal Pie: Atlantic Beach Pie," from Chef Bill Smith. Published in Our State Magazine, May 2014. Also featured in "Found Recipes" on All Things Considered from National Public Radio, broadcast April 13, 2013.

"Meyer Lemon Cheesecake with Biscoff Crust," by Lucy Mercer on Food52.com. [Published 17 February 2022]

"Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies," from Yvonne Ruperti of SeriousEats.com. [Published 24 September 2013 / Updated 30 April 2019]

No comments: