Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Oatmeal Lace Cookies

When the official moment of the vernal equinox occurred at 5:24 pm EDT on Monday, we had recovered from that morning’s low point of 27°F but only achieved a sunny high of 48°F at the house. (I left for my afternoon walk when it was still winter, and arrived home 20 minutes into spring.) The inaugural bounty of tulip bulbs I’d planted last fall were joyous reaped rewards as they continued their graduated emergence into fuller bloom, although a few bore the weight of that overnight cold wave and were bent into sad submission. I’m glad I took advantage of sunshine while still bundled against winter’s final 36 hours in order to plant spring bulbs in various areas.

The early day portions of stroganoff leftovers only sustained us so far, so when most people might’ve been making dinner, I was trying another new cookie recipe: oatmeal lace cookies. They did not require softened butter and that allowed me to tackle them as soon as I caught my breath post-walk on Monday. The National Year Of calendar told me a recent day was designated to celebrate oatmeal lace cookies, which is what put the idea in my head to try these. Too impatient to let them completely set up, I had to fork-scoop them and was rewarded with a very sweet but tasty result


"Oatmeal Lace Cookies," from Kathy Berget of Beyond the Chicken Coop. [Published 10 December 2022]

No comments: