Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Peach Buttermilk Ice Cream

Perhaps not long after I'd bought the Roediger House, and knowing it would require culinary equipment like a gas grill or a bread machine, I happened upon yet another necessary item on a Sam's Club run, if memory serves: a classic wood bucket-style ice cream freezer with an electric motor and a hand-crank. (I never used the hand-crank.) I made quite a few tall cannisters of various ice creams with it over the years but it finally rusted out. I'd bought a replacement through Amazon in August 2017 but never put it to use before I undertook my big weight-loss effort the following year. (Oh, I make a lot of ice creams, but just in the smaller batches thanks to my Cuisinart countertop machine.)

When I came across a compelling recipe for peach buttermilk ice cream recently, but also found that it made about double the base needed for my countertop model, I decided to break out the big boy and break it in. I'm so glad I did, because this new ice-and-rock-salt maker churned the ice cream most excellently. And the ice cream itself was excellent and worthy of recommendation!


Adapted from "Musings on Peach-Nectarine Buttermilk Ice Cream," from Carolyn Jung of the FoodGal.com blog. [Published 24 July 2013] Her recipe was adapted from The Animal Farm Buttermilk Cookbook by Diane St. Clair. A print-friendly pdf of the recipe is available.

No comments: