Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Batches of Ice Creams

As August was coming to an end, I had an oversupply of heavy cream nearing its expiration date. While there are several different favorite uses for said ingredient, what could be better than ice creams, as in plural? So I made four different batches, three of which were successful and one which was a bit of a bust. I started with brown sugar cinnamon, putting aside a portion of it in a to-go container because I'd long ago promised to share a sample with neighbors across the street. Then, I went with a traditional authentic vanilla bean ice cream, shown above adorned with some of the hot fudge sauce (that was first made for the death by chocolate cake).

There was also butterscotch pecan, with the extra step of delicious roasted buttered pecans (that I could not also stop snacking on before I churned the base). It was pretty freakin' delicious. Ah, but the unsuccessful batch was eggnog ice cream, where I think the issue was my churn urn had not had enough recovery time in the freezer before being pressed into service...so it did not properly freeze the base. (I still ate the deflated result after letting it sit overnight in the freezer.)


"Brown Sugar Cinnamon Ice Cream," from Heather Tullos of SugarDishMe.com. [Published 11 September 2015]

"Vanilla Ice Cream" (p. 35-36), from Bi-Rite Creamery's Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, by Kris Hoogerhyde, Anne Walker, and Dabney Gough. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2012).

"Eggnog Ice Cream" (p. 58), "Butterscotch Pecan Ice Cream" (p. 44), and "Buttered Pecans" (p. 195), by David Lebovitz. In The Perfect Scoop, Berkeley/Toronto: Ten Speed Press (2007).

No comments: