Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Fires of the Winter Solstice

The all too common December weather pattern of the northwest piedmont region of North Carolina is the up-and-down of temps...we enjoyed low 70s at the end of last week, and this past Monday, the official final day of autumn, the high only got up to 43°F. Having started the day with a fine visit over coffee from former student but current friend, professional colleague, and writing partner Dr. Bradley Phillis, it was then a perfect afternoon for letting the blaze roar and chase away my ongoing chills while I returned to the article I'm working on at the moment. In between, there was a simple meal from the leftovers of the weekend, all to a Miles Davis Pandora station soundtrack. In the ongoing chronicle that reflects my obsessive tendencies, I can tell you that this was Fire No. 72 in the "new" fireplace added with the rebuilt kitchen, and it was also a fine start to the Christmas week.

The next morning, Tuesday, it was a chilly 29°F when I got up just before 6 am. After taking Sumner out for his morning constitutional, we retreated to the kitchen area, where I started my day with a hot cup of coffee...and Fire No. 73. Sumner was content to snooze in the chair beside me while we sat in fire-glowed darkness on the day of the Winter Solstice, the last 21st day in the 21st year of the 21st century.

No comments: