Search RoHo Blog

Monday, December 27, 2021

Meal No. 2997: Juicy Sous Vide Burgers

Because I have not indulged in much movie-going lately, I find myself troubled by some films that got away without me seeing them. As we wrapped up the week leading into Christmas, I decided I'd catch a few flicks that were about to end their runs. That meant I piled on three for December 23rd and two for Christmas Eve. Still, dinner on Thursday had to be determined, and what worked in my schedule was to toss prepped-and-frozen burger patties into the sous vide set-up in between Movie No. 1 (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) and Movie No. 2 (Writing with Fire), so that I could finish them on the grill and eat 'em before heading out to the 9:30 pm Movie No. 3 (Silent Night), up the street at a/perture cinema.


Adapted from "Juicy Burgers," originally from Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks recipe magazine, July 2003, p. 52-53. After Pillsbury was purchased in 2001 by General Mills, home of Betty Crocker (founded in 1921, mind you!), it basically ceased to exist as a company and lives on just as a brand. I guess that's why a Pillsbury cookbook recipe from 2003 is now only found on the Betty Crocker website.

The guidance for cooking the frozen raw burgers at 142°F for 2.5 hours pulled from "How to Make Sous Vide Burgers," from J. Kenji López-Alt, former Culinary Director and current Culinary Consultant of SeriousEats.com. [Updated 24 October 2019]

No comments: