Search RoHo Blog

Friday, December 3, 2021

Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake and Eggnog Ice Cream

I woke up stupid early Thanksgiving morning, but that offered me an expansive opportunity to put together not one but two dessert elements to follow our amazing Thanksgiving dinner last week: blue ribbon carrot cake along with eggnog ice cream. Granted, I'd made the base for the ice cream the night before; I churned it while working on the cake.

And delicious and dazzling were they together, leaving us uncomfortably miserable in all the best ways.


"Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake (1981)," also known as "Best Carrot Cake (October, 1997)," from Southern Living. Compiled in the Southern Living 1981 Annual Recipes, Birmingham: Oxmoor Press. Also found online. The recipe I follow was recommended to and shared with me by John & Ebbie Linaburg of Woodstock, Virginia.

"Eggnog Ice Cream," from Bi-Rite Creamery's Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, by Kris Hoogerhyde, Anne Walker, and Dabney Gough. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2012), p. 186-187.

No comments: