Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Meal No. 2811: Chicken Salad Sandwiches

With the bright sunshine making the March breezes of last Sunday morning feel less chilling, it was a fine day for outside time. It also allowed me to draw my attention to the lovely blooms on camelia bushes.

Without smartly planning their placement in advance, I put them along the back property line because it needs some screening.

Over time, as they grow, I expect they'll become quite spectacular.

Early afternoon I set up the sous vide for some prepped split chicken breasts, which were vacuum-sealed with fresh rosemary sprigs and lemon slices. I diced red onion, apple, and pecans to add in to the herby dressing, with a fine chicken salad the ultimate outcome. That made for a tasty sandwich to eat outside on the driveway, with Sumner at my feet.

The grove continues with its early spring adornment, although this year's Bradford pear blossoming seems only to be busting out on the lower half...but I see the beginning pinkening of the cherry trees as well.

It was absolutely a red-letter day in the life of this old man, in the following respect: not only did Sumner and I complete roughly four-and-a-half miles on foot, I also pumped up my mountain bike tires and pulled on my helmet and took my first serious ride in over 20 years. I managed just over five miles and came home to discover I seemed to have the rubberiest legs.


Adapted from "The Best Classic Chicken Salad Recipe," from J. Kenji López-Alt, Chief Culinary Consultant of SeriousEats.com. [Published 03 June 2015 / Updated 17 April 2020]

No comments: